- About the Major
- Video Brochure
- Capital News Service
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- New General Education Program
- Scholarships & Aid
- Media, Self and Society Program»
- Four-Year Plans
- Faculty & Research
- Programs & Centers
- Shirley Povich Center for Sports Journalism
- American Journalism Review
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellows
- International Center for Media and the Public Agenda
- Journalism Center on Children & Families
- College Park Scholars: Media, Self and Society
- National Association of Black Journalists
- Society for Features Journalism
- Alumni & Support
A journalism major's success depends on academic advising provided by the College of Journalism. Advisors are available year-round for appointments. Please call (301) 405-2399 to make an appointment.
Although well-informed advisors are prepared to explain academic policies and to guide you through the process of choosing courses, your progress here is ultimately up to you. It is imperative that you understand the material in this handbook and that you fulfill the expectations advisors have for you.
The advisors in the college strive to protect your right to quality advising, but it is up to you to bring anything unusual to their attention immediately.
» Your Rights and Responsibilities as a journalism student are described on page 26 of the student handbook.
During your first advising appointment, you will be asked to sign a statement indicating that you understand and agree to meet the college's requirements.
» The Recognition of Student Responsibility form is reprinted on page 19 of the handbook.
We have listed suggestions to make your advising a comfortable and successful experience. The more prepared you are, the more successful you will be.
» Steps to Take Before Your Advising Appointment on page 27.
The Undergraduate Advising Office is located in Room 1100 of Knight Hall. We look forward to seeing you!